Monday, February 8, 2010

I heart movies

I saw a SHIT TON of movies this weekend (When in Rome, Hurt Locker, An Education, Precious, Up in the Air, Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging, ETC.), but want to tell you about only one of them. The Oscar ones will be part of my epic Oscar Best Picture noms post once I finish watching all of them. So keep your eyes metaphorically peeled for that.

I wanted to see When in Rome as soon as I saw the trailer. I mean, what’s not to like? Kristen Bell is as cute as a button, Will Arnett, Jon Heder, Dax Shepard (who KB is engaged to BTW) and Danny DeVito are hysterical, and Josh Duhamel is attractive enough to make me hot for the military (see Transformers). I thought I was going to like it, and I WAS RIGHT. It has everything I need in a movie: a plucky and sassy protagonist (who I TOTALLY identified with) who is career-oriented and can’t stand to be away from her Blackberry for more than 12 seconds, a hot guy who played football but is still in super good shape and has a crush (omg.) on said protagonist, and, of course, comedy in the form of these guys:


People probably think that the whole “taking coins from a magic fountain makes the person who threw it in fall in love with you” thing is ridiculous, and they’d be right. But they need to get over it. That’s the whole point! If we didn’t have ridiculous plot devices, we’d literally watch the same movie over and over again. How is the coin device more ridiculous than the plot of Twelfth Night (“Duke has a crush on Olivia who likes Sebastian who is really Viola whose brother is dating Monique so she hates Olivia who’s with Duke to make Sebastian jealous who is really Viola who’s crushing on Duke who thinks she’s a guy…”)?

I watched it with Claire and we had such a good time. We were two of about six people total in the theater, and we were loving life. We were the only ones laughing hysterically at the scene where Kristen Bell tries to break the vase, even though I’d seen pretty much the entire thing in the trailer. The movie also included this song which we love and used to have dance parties 1L year where we BLASTED the song and danced around like crazy people instead of studying. Per the yoozh.

Sidebar: I first heard How Far We’ve Come when I was at the gym and was watching music videos (I know RIGHT) while on the elliptical and saw the one for the song and I may have cried a little bit. No big deal. I mean it shows all the great human achievements and stuff like Tienanmen square?! How can you NOT cry? Sidesidebar: I also kind of cried at the Google Superbowl commercial, and just cried a little bit watching it again.

ANYWAY, watch When in Rome for a laugh and an awwww. Maybe not worth $10 to you, but it was to me, and will prob still be worth a $3 rental in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment