Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Candlestick holders

I saw some GREAT pictures of painted candlestick holders on pinterest and around the internet (example here) and so I made my way down to the thrift store a block from work to see what stuff they had that I could spray paint. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: I'm obsessed. There are always tons of sad brass candlestick holders for super cheap at thrift stores, and they are just waiting for me to make them beyootiful again!


Layer of primer (same Rust-Oleum primer as the lamp from before)

Spray paint!

This was my first attempt at spray painting anything, and I really bonded with the guy who does work on his fancy cars down in the last level of the parking garage while listening to crazy dubstep music. This first time I laid the candlestick holders on their sides, but this turned out to be a mistake because I couldn't constantly monitor them (didn't really feel like hanging out down in the parking garage...) and the paint dried to the newspaper. So this happened:

:(

I had to let them completely dry, sand off the newspaper, re-prime it, and then re-paint it. SO much work. But totally worth it, I think. 



Next time I think I'll lay them on plastic bags or something and try to do lighter coats so the paint doesn't drip onto the paper. I went back to the thrift store and bought literally one billion other candlestick holders, so I guess either I will have a ton (my power goes out constantly so it might not be a bad idea), or people should start getting ready to get painted candlestick holders for Christmas! 




No comments:

Post a Comment