How sad and pathetic.
I mostly wanted to clear out some space in my kitchen cabinets that were being taken up by the couple wine glasses I have, and to not have to put my wine bottles on the counter. But most bars were either too big or too expensive. Sorry, Crate and Barrel, I'm just not fancy enough for a $300+ bar with a bunch of compartments and doodads.
So instead, I decided to make my own using much cheaper Ikea furniture! I guess it's a thing to repurpose Ikea furniture for something other than what it was intended for. There's an entire website dedicated to it (www.ikeahackers.net) and it's pretty great. I bought an Expedit bookshelf/organizer thing ($40), an wooden win rack, and a wineglass holder, all from Ikea. It's like they WANT you to make things with their incredibly affordable products.
This particular wine rack is a tiny bit too big for the expedit, so I had to cut about half an inch from each leg. I bought a hacksaw at the hardware store and spent waaaay too long cutting those tiny pieces off. If I had real tools (and like...an actual workspace), it would have been much easier. Anyway, the final product looks like this:
Complete with fancy painted candlestick holders!
Et voila! Insta-bar for around $60. It felt weird having that space in between my side table and the wall, and the expedit fits that place perfectly. I barely drink that much wine, but it's a nice place to put the few bottles I have in one place. Plus, now that Christmas is close, I needed a place to put all the wine I'll get from people at work! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment