Wednesday, January 27, 2010

fucking LOST

I went to trivia today, and we did SO bad. Neither one of our teams even placed (first place gets money and a round of shots and a pitcher of beer and second place gets to pick a category for next week) and my team did embarrassingly bad. It was horrific. I got some random questions that I totally pulled out of my ass, so the night wasn't a complete loss. Last week our team WON and it was probably the highlight of my life.

ALSO, thanks to my friend Maris (who was on the winning team last week), I have embarked on an Augean journey to watch the first five seasons of Lost before the last season premieres on February 2. THIS IS MY EVEREST. I've been making pretty good time, actually. I'd say I'm at Camp II (aka Season 3 ep 7). I watched all of season two in about two days. This was accomplished by staying up until 7 am and then sleeping until 1pm. And, of course, not going to school.

Here is how I feel about Lost: when I was in high school, I saw an opera called Lucia di Lammermoor where some stupid slag goes crazy. The point is, she kills herself (that's how ALL tragic operas end, silly), but takes like...eight THOUSAND years to do so. She ran around the stage in a bloody nightgown, clutching a knife, and singing about her woes in Italian for an entire act. As a result, I got bored out of my mind and started playing hangman on my program. Lost is similar. [WARNING: mild plot spoilers up ahead.] In an episode I just watched, this guy Eko is very clearly about to die, but he traipses about the island in a hallucinatory fog having weird dreams and ends up getting killed by the smoke monster (don't EVEN get me started on that). It was just like Lucia, except a large African man. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE binge-watching tv shows, but I'm at a point in Lost where I feel like the writers are just like "Fuck it, what else can we talk about?" so I'm really annoyed and it feels more like a chore. But they're so damn sneaky, I'm like "Yes. OBVIOUSLY the giant magnet was not only controlled by a computer that you have to type numbers into every 108 minutes, but it turned the sky purple." I have a feeling I should have gone with my gut instinct about Lost when I watched half of the pilot a few years ago. ("Polar bears? SMOKE MONSTER? Wtf forget this.") If you're going to binge-watch a show, may I recommend Dexter? QUALITY.

But at this point, I've already given Lost my youth and my best years, and I feel like it'll be better than just skimming the Wikipedia page. But I swear to Gott im Himmel, if the last season doesn't make me weep with joy, I will be writing JJ Abrams a VERY strongly worded letter about it, and about how he just abandoned Alias, which to this day still makes me weep with joy. At least the first three seasons, before he just dropped it like a prom night baby. (Aubrey's joke, not mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment