Thursday, January 20, 2011

Painlates

My friend Wendy and I have decided to be more active and less lazy slobs, so we’ve actually been DOING STUFF. It boggles the mind. For example, on Saturday, when it was 80 degrees...in JANUARY, we went to the beach in Santa Monica and watched her friend’s ultimate frisbee team play in some competition. Her friend also taught us how to throw frisbees and stuff. And then we had brunch at Shutters, which is this amazing hotel right on the water that is just a dream and a half. We bought a Groupon-esque deal (Living Social, to be precise) for five pilates SPX classes while we stuffed our faces on lemon ricotta pancakes and eggs Benedict. IRONIC.

Anyways, the place that we bought the deal for (here) has its own deal where you can try the first class for free, so we went yesterday. I don’t know if you know what SPX Pilates is, but it involves a Medieval rack-like machine that you work out on. It was...so amazingly hard. It didn’t help that the lady who was teaching the class we took was...not the nicest, and would yell stuff llike “Come on, you’re only here for a little bit out of your day, ten more seconds, ten more seconds out of 24 hours, come ON!” It was...stressful. I want my trainers to be nice and say “follow your heart and listen to your body,” especially when I already feel so self-conscious contorting myself on what is basically a death trap.

Anyways, it was obviously an amazing workout because I dropped my keys on the floor of my room and didn’t bother picking them up (aka I COULDN’T) because it hurt too much to bend over. My abs have recovered, but weird muscles in my back that I didn't know exist now are in a not insignificant amount of pain. It’s the sting of success...or something. I’m glad that we bought the deal before we tried it out though, because I totally would have pussied out and not bought it. Now I HAVE to go to five more sessions. Yayyyy....SOB.

No comments:

Post a Comment